Introducng myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducng myself

Hi everyody, My name is Rob and new to the board with some questions.
    I'm running a 14' shallow 'v' cuddy boat with an elderly Yamaha 28AE on the back.
    I've had it for several years now but recently I had trouble getting any revs in reverse, and a 'sneezing' type issue.
    The set up is; Yamaha 28AE (s/n L 571260) 2cyl 2 stroke running at 100:1, full remotes from a Yamaha single lever control with fast idle adjuster, electric choke.
    It used to start and run fine but recently started 'sneezing'. It used to do it cold but now seems to do it when hot too, mostly when idling but sometimes under load as well.
    So when I had the lid off I noticed that when I select reverse I could open the throttle up as far as the reverse restrictor would allow and the base plate turned but the throttle roller was set so far from the cam that it wasn't engaging. It was giving some forward throttle - but not much. I adjusted the roller so at idle it was as close to the cam as I could get it. Then I moved the cam itself anti-clockwise slightly so it picked up the roller quicker.
    Now it seems to bog as the throttle is opened (does the plate need to turn to advance the spark before the carb opens?), it doesn't like idling and it still sneezes.
    I've taken the carb off and cleaned it but it was spotless anyway so I don't expect much change there so I'm now a bit lost.
    I see there is an adjustment screw on the inlet between the carb and the engine, would that be the pilot screw?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

We don't have any information on that model(it's not available here in the US). It's either a plugged passage in carb or out of sync but don't have a service manual for it for timing and sync information.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for trying, I'll have another look when (if) it stops raining.

Comment

Well, on reassembly some of the electrical connections appear to have deteriorated so some of the plugs were cut out and soldered, others just reinsulated.
        It started and ran as smooth as it ever has, and didn't 'sneeze' once! It'll be interesting to see what happens on water as flush muffs don't give the exhaust any back pressure and I'm guessing it'll make a difference.
        Should there be anything in the aircleaner? All I have is an empty plastic cup over the air intake.

Comment

Working...
        X