fuel problems 1988 2 cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel problems 1988 2 cycle

1988 150 2 cycle I have replace fuel filters, both fuel pumps, also remove carbs they are all clear. Boat will come out of the hole like gang busters & run great for 1/8 of a mile then fall off like it ran out of gas. Compression range between 105-110. If you let idle for a minute or two it goes back to running great. Please help!!!!

try a different tank, ball, fuel lines...sounds like you have a fuel supply restriction.

Comment

fuel problems 1988 2 cycle

Anti- siphon valve or vent clog? Have a main tank? Try on a vented portable see if it repeats. Anti-siphon is usally on a main tank, right where the hose attaches. It prevents fuel from siphoning out if there is a leak on the hose. (It takes a few inches of vacumn to move the spring, to allow fuel to flow. Imagine a metal ball, spring...after many years it vibrates, wears a pattern in the housing so when it goes to full flow, it shuts off...) My boat did the exact same thing last summer, drove me nuts. Less than $20 to purchase the part. May be a clogged vent as well, check for mud dobbers closing the vent. As well as what was mentioned before hand. Vacumn leaks on fuel lines on the motor can also be a culprit. Could also be a clogged fuel intake screen or a lot of water in tank.....My bet would be the anti-siphon... or a main or motor filter/.screen you did not know even existed...LOL.(Had that happen on an old boat)....

Comment

Would like to thank you luckyer, Think I found the problem thanks to you. I purchased this boat a week ago for the hull but was going to try to get it running. The person I bought from said it need a new motor had a bad hole but after inspecting it had ok compression. So heres what I found, motor filter strainer had been installed backwards. The inside oring was at the bottom along with the open part of strainer at the bottom so the closed part was at the feed line to fuel pumps!!! LOL I hope this helps other fellow boaters. Again thanks for the support of all. Will also let you know how the boat ride goes tomorrow. Have a great Easter.

Comment

to luckyer

Motor worked great!!!!!! Thanks again for your help have a nice Easter,

Comment

Working...
          X