Oil injection question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil injection question

I bought a 94 200 hp motor about 2 years ago. The motor came to me from a friend who blew it up and had it rebuilt. The cause of the blow up was the injection pump broke. He had the pump removed and i premix at 50-1. Should i put the pump back on or is pre mixing o.k.?

Premixing is ok. Yamaha oil pump failure are extremely rare but it could be expensive to reinstall oil injection.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I dont know about most but I actually prefer premixing because I always know that the engine will get the lubrication. My dad had a Brand new 150 Evinrude that was an oil injection and after only 20 or so hours the pump went bad and smoked the motor at WOT it was not a pretty sight. Yes Evinrude warranted the problem but it always made me think how will you ever know if the pump fails? So for me premixing may take a few minutes more and a little math but for me the piece of mind is well worth it.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Should i be worried about excess carbon build up? If so what is the proper product/process for maintence? Thanks again....

Comment

For carbon a lot of guys here use Yamaha Ring Free I use Sea Foam in the fuel a couple times during the season. At least once during the season I spray it directly into the injectors until stall. I then let it sit for 10-min and then run the snot out of it until it stops smoking.
          1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
          1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

I just lost my 200 OX66, I think due to loss of oil injection. I don't have a smoking gun per se, but in the two days I had it out this year, neither of my reservoirs went down in oil level....then I lost the motor on plane at 5k. The piston galled to the cylinder wall and it was a mess.

Oh well....225 Sport will be here next week!

Comment

you will have no problems running pre mix actually its better for your motor, if you do any idling like down a no wake canal, the yamaha oilers will drop your premix levels down to 100 to 1 or even less while idling, so if you think 50 to 1 is not much what do you think 125 to 1 is doing to those cyls, but allways rem as in all yamahas 2 or 4 stroke and now never forget this allway use your ring free or you can use cheveron tecron from walmart for about half the price, its the same thing, in every tank full of gas, now for the seafoam I use it in my lawn mower and my honda atv but im not too sure about it in my boat motor, you can check the msds sheets on seafoam and it will tell you that its the chem that tanners use to tann animal hides witch I thought was kinda weard, the only draw back from mixing your own fuel is that if you idle a whole bunch you might need to clean your plugs more often

Comment

Working...
              X