Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry pee hole

Hello all ~

First, my apologies....I've never been on a forum so I don't know the formalities for asking questions. Also, if I'm in the wrong spot to do this maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Here's the reason I'm looking for advice: I have a 2001 100hp four stroke and there's nothing coming out the pee hole. This has happened before and the mechanics that change out the impeller always say don't worry about it, all the cooling water comes out below, the pee hole's just for show. But, if I don't pay attention to it how do I know when its my impeller? I have back flushed with compressed air but that didn't do anything. Any suggestions?? What if I ignore the problem??
    Last edited by blinddog; 03-29-2009, 01:06 AM. Reason: looking for comments

I'm sure more folks will chime in but from my experience "dirt daubers"(bugs) stop up any hole they can find.They will crawl up inside and deposit their goo(Mud) Use apiece of wire (coat hanger etc)to clean it out and /or trace the hose inside the cowling and make sure they are clear.

If no water out the pee hole the pump is not pumping. Do no ignore !!!

Comment

On my Honda O/B there is a plastic screen for water intake in the bottom of anti ventilation plate right above the prop blades. A piece of debris must have gotten between the prop and the screen and broke a small hole in the screen allowing the small piece of wood to enter. I was not aware of the problem until the water stopped flowing from the pee hole. I tried blowing it out and it would clear for a moment but then return and block it again. I finally removed the brass fitting with the hose barb from the engine and started it. This allowed the chunk to exit the water jacket. Put it back together and replaced the screen and have had no more problems.

Comment

wet pee hole

Thanks for the comments; thought you might like to know what happened.

I threw it in the water and cranked her up. Voila....wet pee hole! On the trailer, with the hose hooked up I had cooling water moving through the block, but that was with hose pressure. The strange thing was that the hose from the pee hole tees into the raw water line at the block. I could blow air back to the block through the pee hose, and I could suck water from the tee out the pee hole, but when I ran the engine on the trailer - nothing. So in the end I don't know what was going on. My impeller appears to be functional and there was no obstruction in the hose. I keep thinking back to what my certified mechanic buddy said: look for the raw water coming out the leg and ignore the pee hole. Otherwise, you're asking for unnecessary service.

Comment

Pee Hole (Tell Tale) hole

I have the same issue and got the same advice from my mech.

After a lot of research here is what I found (I have a 150hp 4 stroke 2005)

Take the engine cover off and trace the hose from the "Pee Hole) back to it's first connection.

On mine it is connected to a small flat -**** colored tank with water connections on the top and bottom on one side and fule connections on the top and bottom on the other side.

This is a Fuel Cooler.

If you have the same thing, the next thing to do is disconnect the hose from the pee hole to the cooler and check to make sure you have a clear hose. Run a plastic tie rap up the hose, don't use a wire or you might puncture the hose. If that part of the hose is clear. then disconnect the top hose, hold it so it will spray water outside of the motor and have someone start the motor.
          If you have good water flow out of the hose then you have good cooling water through the engine but the Fuel Cooler water side is clogged.

I'm at the point with my problem that tonight I'm taking the cooler off the motor and will try to clean it out with air and/or a coat hanger.

A new on for my motor costs $186.00 (don't know about yours) so it is worth a try cleaning it.

Goodluck

Comment

Working...
          X