98 OX66 225HP Tilt / Trim Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 OX66 225HP Tilt / Trim Motor

I recently experienced a problem with the tilt trim unit. When I attempted to put the motor down, it make a loud clicking noise, and the motor was extremely loud. I got it down into a running position and the trim motor stopped running either up or down.

I have replaced the entire unit with a used replacement off of a friends blown engine....motor, trim ram, tilt ram, etc. I am pretty sure that I fried the relay, I get a click only on up or down, cant remember which, and I only get 12 volts on one side of the relay. This I know probably needs to be replaced.

When I try to jump the blue and green to + and - the motor moves both directions, but makes a loud noise similar to that of the old fried motor. The negative also arcs badly and the negative wire gets very hot (both blue and green when being swiched for motor direction.) I have the black bullet ground attached (with clear plastic insulation) and also the black lead tied into the ground on the motor. I have tried to bleed the system....I am not sure that has been done corectly...but I have raised and lowered several times, letting the engine fall under its own wieght.

Am I missing something? Both switches (engine and con***** behave the same, clicks one way but not the other). When I am testing the motor with the green and blue, what should I do with the other two black wires? Any help will be greatly appreciated....I am really scratching my head on this one!

If you jump the wires on relay it will burn out relay, need to replace. It sometimes will make a popping noise when motor contacts trim rams, put grease on ends of trim rams.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Tried greasing rams today....still same noise. When I am jumping the blue and green wires, should I leave the two black wires connected? Also..any ideas on the loud trim motor? Will air in the system cause it to be loud?

Thanks!!!!!

Comment

Yes leave the black wires on relay and do not use relay to jump the trim motor, use a battery. Air in system will be noisy.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Finally solved the problem...the "new but used" motor was bad...the magnets were broken and making the motor scream...it finally died after I played with it too much. Thankfully I did not fry the new relay! Replaced the motor today and a few seals...all is well. Found an aftermarket unit made by Sierra....lifetime warranty, and was able to pick it up for about $275, much better than the OEM price. Thanks for all of the help!
          Last edited by jol1ymon; 04-11-2009, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X