Power tilt sticks in the up position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tilt sticks in the up position?

I have a yamaha 1998 250 hp saltwater series OX66 and after I leave it in the full up position for a few weeks it wants to stick there. I have to repeatedly go up and down with the trim switch till I finally get it all the way down. Once its down it works fine its just after it sits for prolonged periods it wants to stick. I can hear the motor loading up when I first try to make it go down then I pause go up then back down till it loads again and repeat till I'm all the way down. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Last edited by foreveryoung; 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM.

Could be one of the Sub Valve's, number 54 Yamaha Outboard Parts 1998 S250TXRW POWER TRIM & TILT ASSEMBLY 1 Diagram
    or one of the relief valves inside unit.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

could also be tilt tube seizing up, pull top pin on tilt and see if motor lifts freely by hand.

Comment

I have a 1998 150 VMAX that was having the same issue last year. I had to use the manual release several times in waist deep water after fishing a shallow flat and drifting into deeper water. I ended up changing the fluid in the assembly, bleed the system thoroughly and applied a generous amount of grease to the rams and the seals around them. I have not had the problem since. I also cleaned the rams thoroughly and checked for burrs and other imperfections.

Comment

Working...
        X