Yamaha 200ETD Tilt will not lower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 200ETD Tilt will not lower

The tilt works to raise the moter but it will not lower it. When I press the tilt switch to lower the motor it does make a sound but the hydralic shaft does not respond. The hydralic shaft does respond to lift the engine but not to lower it. Any suggestions...?

ccscorpion,
    If the sound you hear when you try to tilt down is a clicking sound, then it is probably the down relay kicking in but not applying 12 volts to the tilt motor. If the sound you hear is the tilt motor running then you have a problem with the pump.
    A tilt relay is relatively easy to replace - working on the pump not so easy. The pump may have to be torn down. I think there is a hydraulic valve or cam in there that can break, because I had the same problem on my Mercury 90 years ago, and that is what it turned out to be.
    Every mechanic I went to said to replace the whole unit until I found a mechanic willing to overhaul it. Turned out to be a $2 part with labor $100. Still was cheaper than $450 for a new one.
    Good luck,
    Ken K
    Beaumont, TX

Comment

ccscorpion,
      To add to the previous post - the up relay could also be your problem if, in the unenergized state, the wiper of the relay is not returning to the post that is connected to ground. Each of the relays, in the unenergized state, provide a ground return for the tilt motor, while the energized relay provides the 12 volts to the motor. The difference, of course, is which direction the current is running thru the motor.
      You really need a simple volt-ohmmeter to check this out.
      Hope this helps,
      Ken K

Comment

The sound is the tilt motor running. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Working...
        X