40TLRC Won't run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40TLRC Won't run

I have a 2004 40TLRC and I cant get it to run. It fires right up and will run for a few seconds only to sputter and die. I let it sit too long in storage with gas in it and it really gummed up the 3 carbs on it. I took them apart and cleaned them but the problem still persist. It keeps flooding itself out. I am about to buy 3 new carbs for it as Im not sure its worth the trouble to buy 3 rebuild kits and that not work. Are there no air/gas mixtures screws on theses carbs? I'm somewhat a newbe on boat mechanics and properly storing a boat. I already had to replace the impeller as one of the vanes had broke on it. I'm learning my lesson the hard way. Anyone have some suggestions on what I should do or look into?

Thanks,
    -Don

Still sounds like carbs to me. Re-clean and make sure you clean all the orifices. Install new kits. Use stabilizer when you store.

Comment

I agree with Matt. You need to clean your carbs properly and rebuild them with new kits, not buy new carbs.

I bought a 50TLRC on eBay two years ago that did the same thing that your motor is doing. I bought the carb kits from boats.net and a can of Gunk Carburetor & Parts Cleaner (3 quart can with parts basket, not the spray can). This stuff is expensive, about $25 a can, but is worth every penny. It does a great job. I dis-assembled the carbs, soaked the parts in the Gunk according to the instructions on the can and re-assembled the carbs with the new kits and the motor has run like a top every since.

The mixture screws (pilot screws) on these motors are sealed behind a brass plug. You can't adjust them without removing the plug. You don't need to adjust them anyway until you get your motor running.
      Last edited by LarryMc; 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X