electrical trouble!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical trouble!

I have a 90 HP 2 stroke 1999. I tried to take it out last week and boat would not start. I had taken it out 2 weeks prior with no problem other than a fuse blew for my bilge pump. I repaced the fuse and got the bilge working again. I charged my battery with a 6 amp charger and get 12 volt reading when I check it. I checked the volts when I attempt to start the engine and it remains at 12 volts at the battery. I hear a clicking noise at the relay . the volt meter at the relay at the starting position on the power side is 12 volts. there is no power on the starter side. I attempted to bypass the relay and i get sparks! The other thing of note is that the batteries volt reading drops significantly when in the start mode. the battery is relatively new 2 months or so. I cleaned all connections checked all the fuses. i have also tried doubling the battery power and no significant change is noted. I have a relay on order. I was wondering if I have missed something. I am really hoping its not the starter. I can't really spare the $500 quote i got from the local dealer. Does any body have any other suggestions, I could use them . Thanks Dusty

If voltage drops below 10 volts at relay with key in start position then its a bad battery, battery cables or shorted out starter.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X