P150TRLP intermittently goes into reduction mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P150TRLP intermittently goes into reduction mode

I have a 91 Champion with a 92 Yamaha ProV 150 and the motor always starts and idles fine. However, there are times when I go to take off and it won't come out of the hole and just boggs (feels like it is trying to go but motor shakes and acts like it is missing real bad guessing that it is in reduction mode). I can usually go back to idle, sometimes shut the motor off, and it will then come out of the hole fine and run good until the next time it decides to do it. This issue does not happen every time I take off and sometimes I have to start over a few times before it will come out of the hole. I have changed the plugs and the gas is fresh.

I was having an issue with an alarm every now and then but I was never in the boat to look at the Yamaha gauges to determine what the problem was. I have tested that the buzzer works by pulling the kill cord and trying to start the motor...this sets off the alarm. I have checked both temp sensors and if I ground the pink wire it sets the buzzer off. If I pull the oil sensor at the engine out it sets off the alarm and blinks all three indicators at the dash.

I believe all the gauges and alarms are working correctly as all indicators flash on then go back to normal with the arrow on above the green oil indicator and no other items are flashing.

I was doing some more research as I forgot that my trim gauge was not working...It was before last year but in the process of pulling the engine (power head??) last year so I could change a bracket that holds the shift rod I incorrectly plugged the orange wire to the pink leads headed to the gauge and vice versa.

Could this be my culprit? i.e. would that send my motor into reduction mode intermittently?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Possible, the trim sender uses a pink wire and the warning system also uses a pink wire, if connected to warning system could cause problems.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I had read somewhere that from 90-95? Yamaha linked the trim sender to the warning system as it tied to the oil transfer process so I am hoping that is what my problem was.

Here is what I know...the boat ran fine up until last year where I had to pull the powerhead to change the bracket for the shift rod. Once I did that I had intermittent issues with the boat going into reduction mode. I found the wire mismatch on the trim sensor which ended up tying the orange wire from the sender to a connector that had 2 wires coming out of it. My guess is one of the pink wires was going to the warning system and the other to the gauge.

What I am trying to pin down is if this is likely the root cause of my problem or if I should continue to troubleshoot and validate that everything is working.

I have about a week until fishing so I would like to fix everything now instead of getting out there and finding that I still have a problem.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Comment

That should fix the problem.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

if it IS intermittent, and NOT oil or heat, you might want to look for a bad ground.

Comment

Working...
          X