head gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head gaskets

I am replaceing my head gaskets and want to know if there is anything that I'm suppose to put on it before I put the new gaskets in, as far as like copper coat?

nothing .....just CLEAN dry sufaces, tho you might wanna lube the bolts if you use in salt.

Comment

ok, thank you

Comment

jb123:

What do you recommend to use to lube the bolts? After the head gasket installation, do you need to allow the gasket to adhere for a certain duration before running the motor? Lastly, is it necessary to perform a leak down test after the installation?

My apologies to johnharleymiller@aol.com, did not intend to hijack your post.

Comment

Use anti seize on head bolts. Once head bolts are properly torqued down gasket will seal. If you were having a compression problem before head gasket replacement then yes do a compression and leak down test.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the helpful info.

Comment

Head gaskets , these days they get fitted dri plus the sealing surfaces need to be completely clean and dry as the new gaskets have the sealer coated both sides and in the right places, the sealer in a lot of cases is also heat sensitive . Once the motor has been run for a hour or so and completely cooled down its a good idea to re-torq the head as the gasket will have compressed minuitly and its possible to get a fraction of a turn from some of the head bolts . Be very accurate with the settings on your torq wrench . !!!
              Last edited by tunnels; 03-13-2009, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Tunnels:

Thanks for the info, I will make sure to check the torque after warming up the motor.

Comment

Working...
                X