Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 VMAX runs on hose but dies at lake??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 VMAX runs on hose but dies at lake??

I have a 2003 VMAX 150hp 2 stroke. V150TLRB. It runs just fine on a water hose at the house and I can even rev it up a bit(1500 rpms) without any problems. Will run on the hose without a single issue at 800-900 rpms. When I get to the lake and drop it in the water it has issues with staying at idle. It will start and run for about 30 seconds when its gets that initial start-up choke fuel out of the carbs it dies. I can hit the throttle and hold it at 2000 rpms without an issue. As soon as I let it settle back to idle it dies. I think its the carbs? Needs to be cleaned? I have a feeling its fine at the house with a hose because there is no back pressure from the lake water at the prop. Yes I have a fuel-water 10 micron separator and brand new gas. I have used the fuel adds every time to combat ethanol and use a little sea-foam with every tank. Any ideas??
    Last edited by JONMILL151; 02-23-2009, 11:51 AM. Reason: update vin#

if low pressure pumps are ok then most likely clogged carbs.

Comment

I think I know what your talking about when you say low pressure pump. The two fuel pumps with Yamaha written on them. These are the only fuel pumps I know about. I opened both and looked them over and nothing unusual. I did not see any holes in the rubber pieces. I will most likely take it into the shop for a carb clean but I wanted to see if any one knew if this issue and knew of a quick fix.

Comment

Working...
      X