Clogged up Speedo tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogged up Speedo tube

I have cleaned and cleared the tube from just below the plastic tube mount at the top of the lower unit and have cleaned the hole on the leading edge, but still cannot get an open passage between the two.

The hole and upper plastic tube were clogged with sandy crap which was pretty hardened, so I presume I have to get to the passage between the two openings somehow.

I have already tried to feed a wire through it to no avail. Looks like if I remove the gear shift shaft (?) I might be able to get at it.

Can anyone tell me how I gain access to the passage? And if I am to remove that gear shift shaft cover, what should I know or watch out for?

Thanks.

Dave

additional information

Sorry, the motor is a 250 salt water series, 1998 year.

Comment

Have you tried using compressed air to clear the lines? If that doesn't work you may need to drop the lower unit and pull the connector apart that is between the lower/upper units and clean from there...also make sure it isn't pinched at that point

Comment

clogged speedo

I have tried compressed air and a water stream.

While i had the lower unit off, I removed the white plastic thing the tube connected to and made sure that was all clean. I cleaned out down from there as far as i could.

And, I also came at it the other direction. There must be a bend or something between the two locations that is still blocked.

How do I gain access to this remaining area?

Comment

Hi I had the same problem on a 70 I just bought, there are a couple of push connectors in the line down the leg. Perservere with the wire until you can reach the bottom of the leg where the hole is. I used stainless weld wire (1/16 diameter) flattened slightly on the end and a product called "Salt Away" in a syringe to loosen the deposits in the tube ... good luck, it takes time but is still quicker than pulling the leg off.

Comment

clogged speedo tube

I will keep trying. My wire is thinner and maybe not strong enough.

I have cleared the tube all the way down the motor right up to the place where it apparently turns toward the pick up hole.

Not really important, just annoys me that is doesn't work

thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X