Yamaha trim gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha trim gauge

I have a Yamaha F150 mfg date of 05/08. My 09 Sea hunt has analog gauges MPH, RPM, Fuel, Volt meter. I want to add the trim meter that I just purchased part number 6Y7-83670-50-00. The trim meter assembly has 3 solid leads yellow, black and pink. The yellow and black leads have male connectors and the pink has a female plug on it. The outboard rigging guide I received was for 2002 and is some what useless (not a lot of information). Especially what colors I am looking for to plug into. So what colors should I be looking for to hook these wires into??? Is it possible I will need to run new wire to the motor?? Oh yea it also has the Blue and Black leads for the light and that is not a problem. I would like to hook it up and see it work before I go drilling out that big 2 1/16 " hole in the dash. I have looked all over the wiring harness and maybe I'm missing something but I can't find any logical plug in places except for the light. Is there a color coded wiring diagram available?

If the other gauges in boat are Yamaha gauges then connect the yellow wire(key on power) to yellow wire on other gauges. If the other gauges are not Yamaha gauges then Sea Hunt may have used a purple wire for key on power, then connect the yellow wire on trim gauge to purple wire on other gauges and black wire to black wire. You will need a trim harness to connect gauge to engine using the off white colored square connector on engine, trim harness part number is
    6Y5-83653-10-00 20ft harness
    6Y5-83653-20-00 23ft
    6Y5-83653-30-00 26ft
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yamaha trim gauge

Thank you. If the harness is already there will it have a pink wire??? or the part number on harness???? If neither I will order the harness. Thank You again for your speedy reply. I am now convinced joining this forum was well worth the time. PappyJ

Comment

The harness will only be there if it has Yamaha gauges with warning lights.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yamaha trim gauge

Bravo success!!! The harness was there, the pink/red lead for trim gauge was wrapped up in electrical tape. I figure they they did that to keep the male plug from accicently grounding, but it also disguised it very well. I tested it and it works. You armed me with the knowledge and purpose of the gauge leads and the off white connector on the harness, that made all the difference in the world. The harness was actually labled "To gauges". I just need to drill my holes and this old man can go fishing with my grandson. You made it easy and I really appreciate the help for a total stranger.

Comment

Go catch em Pappy
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I'm having trouble with mine and the diagram is still a bit unclear from the other post. I also have a Sea Hunt and my gauge did work but then the sensor melted and there is twelve volts at the harness end on the engine. Before I hook it up and blow something, does the pink wire from the trim guage connect to the same pink/red wire as the tach? I'm guessing if it does it became disconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by carjunkie View Post
                I'm having trouble with mine and the diagram is still a bit unclear from the other post. I also have a Sea Hunt and my gauge did work but then the sensor melted and there is twelve volts at the harness end on the engine. Before I hook it up and blow something, does the pink wire from the trim guage connect to the same pink/red wire as the tach? I'm guessing if it does it became disconnected.
                I think why I'm confused is it doesn't make sense that both the tach and trim would get a feed from this same wire.

Comment

There shouldn't be a pink/red wire going to tach(Yamaha harness colors) , there should not be 12 volts at trim sender. Not sure what harness you have if it's aftermarket or Yamaha, or if you have Yamaha gauges.
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have yami pro series II white faced analog gauges. It appears I have a yami harness but there is only a bullet connector on the pink lead coming from the back of the gauge. This wire is not connected to anything. There are the wires to the bulb and a yellow and one black on the back of the gauge. These are connected and have 12v to them. I do not have plugs like shown in the diagrams in the other post. There are flying leads. It appears I have two of the gauge harnesses, one to the tach and one that must be for the trim gauge. The have a label that says "to gauge". They have a black shiny sheathing that encloses the cables into a nice bundle, kinda like tubing. The trim gauge did work fine for the first year of service. I have to assume the connector just came unplugged. What color wire from the harness that goes to the trim sensor should be connected to the pink wire from the back of the trim gauge? All other gauges including the tach work correclty.
                    Last edited by carjunkie; 04-21-2010, 08:20 PM.

Comment

The pink lead is the trim sender lead, connect that to pink lead(sender lead) on trim gauge, the other wires on trim gauge connects to matching colors on gauge power harness that goes to ignition switch and they are
                      blue= backlight in gauge
                      black=ground
                      yellow= key on power(12 volts with key on)
                      Regards
                      Boats.net
                      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Got it. The trim sender wire is pink with red dashes for lack of a better description. I plugged that back into the pink on the back of the trim sender, fixed. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Working...
                        X