Rubber seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber seal?

Ok, this one is for lower unit experts at boats.net or any one else who has seen this. Over the weekend I did my first water pump replacement routine as advised by most mechanics I talked to.
    I really did it out of couriosity more than anything else, because my water pump on my 2000 C115 has been doing fine with a strong side discharge (even at idle) and no overheat problems.
    So I dropped the lower unit to see what kind of condition the (7) bolts were in and also the splines on the drive shaft. All were ok - a little bit of corrosion on the stainless bolts, but not bad, and the drive shaft splines had grease on them from the factory.
    Now what I did find, or should say, did not find was the rubber seal as shown on page 6-1 of my Yamaha shop manual that looks like it is supposed to seal the bottom of the exhaust muffler to the top to the exhaust discharge in lower unit. Man, I looked everywhere. I see a place where a seal should go,but there's not one there.
    I have been running this C115 hard for four years now in salt water, and taking good care of it. I am bothered that my (very expensive) shop manual shows a seal that is not in my motor - one that I bought brand new.
    There is no sign of exhaust gas leak external of the motor around the junction of the lower unit and upper case. There is however, a little exhaust gas leak evident into the chamber where the water pump resides, for I found black sooty deposits on the side of the water pump housing next to the exhaust chamber.
    My question is, does there need to be a rubber seal there as shown in the shop manual? Did Yamaha just arbitrarily or mistakenly not put one in there?
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    Ken K
    Beaumont, TX

Not all models have that seal. My VMax HPDI does not. My old Pro-V did not.

Mike.....Miami, FL

Comment

Please check this link.

http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...0e75d3f5dba080

#8,9

Its a Outboard Year: 2000 Model: C115TRY

TMD

Comment

Working...
      X