Lower unit leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit leaking

Is there a seal for the lower unit prop shaft? I have noticed recently that there is oil on the skeg below my prop and thought there might be a seal on the prop shaft that needed to be replaced. If so do you have a part number and how hard is it to replace?? BTY I have a 2000 130 HP. Thanks

Yes the propshaft takes 2 seals they are both the same. You have to remove the bearing carrier to replace them.
    http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...NG%20DRIVE%201
    /parts.html

Number 63 in the diagram. Its best to pressure test it and verify the leak. Psi test at 7-10lbs, submerse in water is easiest way to find the leak. Look for the bubbles.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by sms243; 01-25-2009, 04:21 AM. Reason: spl ck

Comment

Ok thanks. Does the pressure from the prop nut and washers seal these 2 seals. I just changed props and thats when I noticed it leaking. Also concerning the pressure test to do it should I just look at the prop area while the motor is running out of gear in the water? NOt sure of the pressure test you recommend. Thanks

Comment

The seals are pressed into the bearing carrier. You need a psi pump to check it, it threads into the drain screw, pump it to 7 psi and then you can see where the leak is coming from.

Comment

Working...
        X