HPDI not shifting to 6 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPDI not shifting to 6 cylinders

I have a 2001 HPDI 150 intermitly when I shift from neutral the engine will fail to go into all 6 cylinders. I can power up the throttle but RPM's will not exceed 1500 to 2500 and boat will not plane. If I switch the key off and restart sometimes the problem will resolve. I first thought it may be the motor control unit, now I believe it may be the shift switch assembly. Any suggestions??

Probably the shift switch.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Any suggestion on how to best test this without replacing the switch?

Comment

You can test it with an ohm meter, it should open and close as shifted.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Shiftswitch

just unplug it if it goes to all 6 cylinders then itis the switch

Comment

No it has to be connected and operating before ECU will fire all 6 cylinders.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

My concern is that this only happens intermitenly. It has never cleared by shifting the control only by shutting the engine down and restarting. I would figure the switch would possibly clear if you shifted to neutral and then back but it does not without removing power.

Comment

switch is OK

The switch seems to be working correctly, closed when in neutral, open whin in gear. The slide under the linkage seems to not be moving correctly when shifitng. There is a block under the linkage that moves in a slot and indicates teh possition the switch should be in. When I shift with the throttle handle, sometimes the switch stays in the open possition with I return it to neutral. it stays in this possition even if I move the throttle back to forward or reverse. The block just floats in this tray and there is no adjustment, how do you properly adjust this to keep this from happening?

Thanks, Jeff

Comment

When I shift into forward the block moves correctly and the switch opens. When I shift back into neutral the switch is not closing to tell the engine control module to go back to two cylinders. This probably accounts for the smoking at idle after I get out on the water. Any suggestions on how to correct?

Comment

Operation "Complete

I adjusted the cable and then found that the same thing occured. On further inspection I found that the switch was not making contact even though the block was in the correct possition. I ended up bending the switch arm just a little so that it made contact properly. Ran the boat today and it worked properly with no issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X