Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak on 225 yammy???

1997 225 Yammy 2 stroke boat is in the water 24/7
    The last couple times out I have noticed a light film of oil? On the surface of the water behind my boat after I put the motor down and start it. and also after returning to the dock and shutting down the motor. I don’t think this is normal, as I have not seen it before. Any thoughts on where it might be coming from and what to look for.

Thanks

does your 97 have a tube vented oil tank on motor?

Comment

Went down to the boat this am and lowered the engine without starting and again oily substance on surface of water appeared. Raised engine and it appears to be coming form the trim/tilt. My guess is a bad seal on the trim/tilt cylinder. Anyone have any other ideas?

Comment

KEVIN: JUST REPLACE THE CAPS, INTERNAL O RING AND SEALS ON BOTH PISTONS OF THE PTT AND IT WILL TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM. IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY AT THE OUTER SEAL AROUND THE PISTONS YOU WILL SEE THE LEAK. APROX COST IF YOU DO IT IS $40 TAKE IT IN TO THE DEALER $150 TO $200....

Comment

I had a problem with oil running out of the bottom of the powerhead and down the lowe unit shaft when tilting the motor down (after a few days tilted up).

While tilted up, the oil from the engine mounted oil tank was draining out through the carbs. Best I can tell is that I got junk down into the oil pump that fouled check valve(s).

I eventually disabled the whole system and went to 50:1 premix.

I am now re-enabling the system because the mixing was more of a hassle than I had anticipated. I took apart the pump and put it back together. Hopefully the check valve problem will be fixed. I'll know when I get the thing back in the water soon.

This is on a 1989 225 V6 Excel.

Comment

Working...
          X