Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter disassembly

Yamaha 1990 CV30ELD

After some erratic operation, attemted to dissassemble the starter to clean insides and inspect armature brushes. Wondering what on earth is the trick to removing the c-clip in the top of the pinion stopper. I can't seem to move it w/ any technique...next step to heat slightly w/ propane torch?? Help!! It's got me perplexed

thanks in advance

Well, I attempted 2nd try on that d^%$ circlip in the top of the starter....seems like it's siezed into the pinion (corroded) looks like the only way to get the pinion off is to destroy it w/ a dremel tool and buy new parts...

The starter works....so...if it ain't broke

Any rate..gave it the old college try and now giving up.

Comment

JD,
      If your starter is like mine (C115 2000 model) take a socket wrench that just matches the diameter of the pinion stopper and place it on top of the stopper with the starter held in a bench vise. Soak the top of the pinion stopper with a solvent like WD-40 for say ten minutes and then give the top of the socket wrench a little whack with the hammer. This should push the stopper down enough to expose the c-clips so that they can be removed.
      Good luck,
      Ken K.
      fishingkat@aol.com

Comment

Ken, You da man!!! after attempt#3, I followed your advice and began to gently tap the pinion down w/ a socket as prescribed. worked like a charm and exposed that pinche circlip on to top of the armature. Was still a pain to get off even when exposed. As for the pinion, I put some sandpaper on a dowel and lightly cleaned up the inner flange, will now be a snap to reinstall.

now cleaning the "guts" on this 11 year old starter. Figured preventative maint can't hurt. PLanning on using a little carefully placed gasket sealer around the base and top lips to seal the shot out o-rings...noticed brass bearings in the top and base, figure no lube, or a very slight film of hitemp grease will do the trick there. Figure any grease or oil in the unit will foul the brushes.

Main reason for disassembly was preventative and to combat interior corrosion. Noticed the 2 long bolts that hold the unit together were rusted, will DR. accordingly

thanks again, I figured there was a "trick" that my manual overlooked.

JD

Comment

Working...
        X