Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump HELP needed!!!

I have a 1992 250HP VX76 engine.

After chasing down wires, I still found no switch to activate the "primer pump". I started backwards looking at carb #6 and followed that to part # 61A-13910-01-00, Fuel Pump Assy. I checked the voltage using a volt meter and had 12 volts to the pump. But the pump NEVER comes on. I have been told that this pump should run continuosly.

I googled that part # and found another post where this part number was referred to as a "high speed fuel pump".

My questions are as followed:

1. Should this pump run at all times?
    2. there is a red, yellow and black wire. The red is hot ALL the time. The yellow comes on once the key is on. The black is ground. Can someone please explain this to me as why the red wire is hot ALL the time?
    3. The pump mentioned above is EXPENSIVE. Is there a reason that a different less expensive pump is used in its place? I mean a standard electric fuel pump that supplies the 6 psi for the fuel.

Thanks in advance for ANY help given!

Stephen

Yes it should have 12 volts to red wire all the time and 12 volts at yellow wire when key is on. The pump runs all the time if key is on, there will not be any amp draw across red wire when key is off. I don't know of any other pump that work.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Pump

Thanks for the reply.

I guess my question is what is the purpose of the red wire that has a constant 12 volts on it? What your saying is the pump is supplied 12 volts by the yellow wire when the key is turned on and the pump runs the entire time that the engine is running no matter if it is hot or cold or idling or wide open throttle. Is that correct?

I guess I thought that the ECU con*****ed this pump for priming" the engine for cold start and as a high speed pump when the throttle is wide open.

Does it basically shoot enough fuel into the carbs to get it started and after it is started this fuel is cut off by so that it is not "flooding" the carbs? Reading through these forum posts, I hear this as fuel pump, primer pump, high speed pump and it really gets confusing. I do appreciate the assistance!

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Not sure why the red wire has constant power. The ignition switch controls the pump, the ECU controls the prime start solenoids along with thermosensor for cold starts. Once engine is warm the prime start are not active.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks!

So if I am hearing you correctly, that fuel pump assembly should run should run at all times and it supplies fuel to many different parts of the fuel system.

so fuel is ready at the prime start solenoids BUT DOES NOT enter the carburator until the ECU tells it to. Correct?

If this pump was bad (not working at all) would the engine still run? I had to take the airbox off and put my hands over all 3 of the starboard side carbs to basically choke the engine and it started and I ran a good 20 miles like that.

Thanks again for the fast response and look forward to the last 2 questions answers!

Comment

Yes on all questions.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X