1992 225vx76 cold start issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 225vx76 cold start issues

After chasing down wires, I still found no switch to activate the "primer pump". I started backwards looking at carb #6 and followed that to part # 61A-13910-01-00, Fuel Pump Assy. I checked the voltage using a volt meter and had 12 volts to the pump. But the pump NEVER comes on. I have been told that this pump should run continuosly.

I googled that part # and found another post where this part number was referred to as a "high speed fuel pump".

My questions are as followed:

1. Should this pump run at all times?
    2. there is a red, yellow and black wire. The red is hot ALL the time. The yellow comes on once the key is on. The black is ground. Can someone please explain this to me as why the red wire is hot ALL the time?
    3. The pump mentioned above is EXPENSIVE. Is there a reason that a different less expensive pump is used in its place? I mean a standard electric fuel pump that supplies the 6 psi for the fuel.

Thanks in advance for ANY help given!

Stephen
    Last edited by stephendudra; 01-04-2009, 03:59 PM. Reason: change title

My understanding is that the primer pump comes on when the engine is first started and goes off a short time thereafter. Its purpose is to inject a "jolt" of fuel directly into all 6 intake manifolds just behind the 3 carbs in order to help start the engine. My '93 225 has 2 distinct electrical connections to the primer pump, one of which probably starts the pump when the ignition is turned on and the other probably disables the pump whenever the engine is warm.

Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks

I appreciate the reply. I understand what the pump is for when it comes to the "primer system".

The part that I dont understand is the wiring to the pump. I have an idea, but of course it is just that.

I hope that maybe a tech would see this posting and will reply to let me know. I will more than likely end up just buying the yamaha pump and be done with it.

Thanks again!

Comment

The pump on my 93 250 runs whenever the key is on.

Comment

pump

Thanks for the reply Salty dog. By chance are you in Jacksonville?

Do you know if the pump runs all the time even with engine warm? Meaning, if you where out *****ing for kings for an hour at idle speeds, does the pump continuously run?

From what I understand, a thermosensor is supposed to recognize when the engine is warm and I thought, would disable this "primer pump" function. However, I have also read that this pump acts as a high speed pump as well to ensure that enough fuel is given to the motor at top end.

Hopefully, a yamaha tech can answer the original questions regarding the wiring of the yamaha factory pump that I posted in my original post.

Thanks again!

Comment

I'm in Cape Coral

The pump runs all the time, hot or cold. Be careful cruising with the pump not working. You can lean it out and bang a piston.

Comment

thanks

YEs I am finding that out. I am glad that I have not ran it and found this problem. The pump is so much less expensive than a new power head!

Comment

Working...
              X