seized tiller arm F8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seized tiller arm F8

My Stand by kicker is not used much and I noticed that the arm has seized for the second time. Loosening the 2 nuts right off still does not allow movement. I am afraid of breaking the arm if I pull any harder. I have tried WD40 with no luck and have bought a better anti seize to try next time I am at the cottage.

This doesn't seem to be a common occurrence as I have found no similar threads. Maybe a torch on the frame around the shaft?

If it's the steering shaft that froze up then may have use some light weight oil on top bushing and use heat to free up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

seized tiller arm F8 Yamaha

Tried new anti seize after loosening nut securing the arm. Used a blow torch to heat the aluminum part of the joint. No go!!

I got a long punch and tried bashing the bolt holding the thing together. No go.!!

Too bad they didn't have a grease lube for this joint. Sounds like I am the only one with this problem.

Comment

seized tiller arm f8

If anyone has a service manual and can scan the breakaway view of the tiller joint and email me, I would appreciated same. roy.mcdonald@telus.net

Comment

The service manual shows same diagram as parts listing.
          Yamaha Outboard Parts 2004 F8MLHC STEERING Diagram
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

seized arm

thanks this is useful.

Comment

Also have a Seized Tiller

Same engine -- same problem. I've got a Yamaha 8HP T8. The tiller arm got stiff earlier this season. I lubed it with Lithium Grease but it has now seized solid. Just like you, I loosened the bolts -- tried some PB Blaster penetrating lube. Tried to knock the bolt out with a hammer -- but the arm is welded on now.

Today, I removed the complete tiller assembly from the engine and will take it to my local dealer to see if they can get it replaced under warranty -- kind of doubting that this will be covered as a warranty replacement but we shall see. Wondering if there was a run of these engines sold without proper lubrication of that fitting -- seems to me that the design is going to be prone to seizure given the open exposure to the salt.

Comment

Working...
              X