spit gear case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spit gear case

The lower gear case is spit on one side starting from the prop end and goes forward about 4 inchs, What is the cause , what is the remody and how can it be prevented from happening again ???:
    Last edited by tunnels; 12-23-2008, 01:33 PM.

Possible from corrosion between housing and bearing carrier. May can be welded if corrosion is not real bad.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Possible from corrosion between housing and bearing carrier. May can be welded if corrosion is not real bad.
      What is inside that area ? what can be done to stop the corrosion after the welding is done ? Is it the bearing carrier that is a part of the problem?Can it be treated with anything to prevent it from happening again like packing it with grease ????

Comment

split gear case....

...seems to be a common problem as I have a 1984 90 hp with the exact same problem. It looks like salt has gotten between the housing and the retainer ring. The retainer ring is cracked and I believe that is what caused the salt to bypass and set up. I did a temp fix with 2 part steel epoxy for now. Gotta get through the next 2 weeks of vacation then I'll pull the lower unit, strip it all down and replace the cracked retainer, weld the housing if repairable and reassemble.
        90 Yami on a 16' Sea-N-Sport. Rides smooth as silk when the water turns to a sheet of glass.

Comment

Originally posted by snookman265 View Post
          ...seems to be a common problem as I have a 1984 90 hp with the exact same problem. It looks like salt has gotten between the housing and the retainer ring. The retainer ring is cracked and I believe that is what caused the salt to bypass and set up. I did a temp fix with 2 part steel epoxy for now. Gotta get through the next 2 weeks of vacation then I'll pull the lower unit, strip it all down and replace the cracked retainer, weld the housing if repairable and reassemble.
          Why hasent some one come up with a better solution to this common problem? Have a friend with a merc and he to had a simular issue with that as well , The agent said to make sure it was well packed with grease when its being reassembled and if used in salt water to flush it well each time . The disassembly and repack with grease needed to be done once a year at least . Bad design !!
          I would like to get some pictures if anyone has any ?.
          Thank you !

Comment

90 on a 16 foot boat crazy ? how about a 115 on a 14 footer !!

Comment

Lov it

Yeah, Baby!!! Must go faster!!!!!!!!
              90 Yami on a 16' Sea-N-Sport. Rides smooth as silk when the water turns to a sheet of glass.

Comment

Yeah, Baby!!! Must go faster!!!!!!!!
                its just a fishing boat ! ----------------a fast one ------------------------!

At 65 you need excitement in you life ! have just done a stepped out transom , chopped a heap of weight out , changed to motor from a old 70 hp omc 20 inch to a 115 yama 25 inch .
                Next winter i intend adding lifting strakes ( wide ones !) to the bottom and changing the keel ( what there is of it ) to a vee all the way along, and with a little rocker in the right place and with a little luck lifting the motor a bit , then life will get real interesting on those still early mornings out on the harbor!!!
                Used to make race boats long time back now i just like to go fishing and getto where im going quickly !
                Last edited by tunnels; 12-29-2008, 05:38 PM.

Comment

From the numerous pages that I've read about stuck bearing carriers, it seems that using a product called Perfect Seal would help with salt water corrosion and the future removal of the bearing carrier. Mine was installed dry, and the shop had apply so much force the carrier blew up.

Comment

Working...
                  X