High Voltage Reading on '92 Pro50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Voltage Reading on '92 Pro50

I have a 1992 Pro50 2-stroke that has a high voltage reading when at 4000 RPM or higher. My VHF radio has an alarm that sounds with a message displayed reading "High Battery." My Fishfinder/GPS is showing my battery at 15.3 volts when I'm at approximately 4000 RPM or higher. Some days it happens consistently and other days not at all. Otherwise, the voltage is at 12.3 volts at idle or 12.7-13.1 when at full throttle.

I recently changed out the CDI unit, Rectifier and NGK spark plugs. All wire connections are good and no damage on any cables. Battery is a group 29 that is less than a year old.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Some of the earlier model motor's didin't have a voltage regulator only a rectifier and would generate high voltage. Try connecting electronics direct to battery.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

All of my electronics are hooked up directly to the battery with fuses (VHF Radio, FF/GPS).

Will this high reading cause damage to my motor or electronic equipments?

Comment

I ran my boat a few more times and I'm still getting a high voltage of 15.3v at 3000 rpm and higher. I replaced the rectifier and CDI unit and it did not correct the problem. All my connections are solid so please give advice on how to resolve this issue. I just bought new electronics and I would hate to see them get damaged.

Is there a voltage regulator I can add to correct this problem?

Comment

There are regulators available at marine electronic stores but I don't have any information on them.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I'm wondering if the newly installed rectifier is defective. Can you give me instructions on how to test the rectifier? I hope this is an easy fix.

Comment

It's working, a rectifier just converts AC voltage to DC voltage it does not regulate charge current.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

BOATS.NET:

Can I replace my rectifier (6G1-81970-61-00) with a 1995 P50TLRT Rectifier/Reg Assembly (6H2-81960-00-00). I'm curious if this unit has a built in Regulator to help resolve the high voltage on my electrical equipment. Please advise if this unit is compatible to the P50TLRQ.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X