Carb overflow....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb overflow....

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and will greatly appreciate all input.

I took my boat out for the first time in a year this past weekend and after running it a bit and it running badly, took the cover off and noticed fuel running out of what I'd guess as a overflow port at the top of my bottom carb. 2004 70hp Yamaha.

What I'm asking for is input on where to start. I'm guessing it's a stuck float or clogged valve but know absolutely nothing about outboard engines. I've worked on all sorts of engines, lawnmower-car... rebuilt carbs before but don't want to start before getting some input from one or two of you guys on what my problem is likely to be... and your recommendations.

It sat with no fuel for several months, I tried gently tapping. If a overhaul is needed, recommended links for disassembly/parts/manuals would be appreciated.

I'm in construction, been out of work for over a year and wouldn't think twice about taking it to my local guy but his hourly rates are prohibitive at the moment.... and I've got nothing if not free time.

One other thing... the guy I bought the boat from ran a combination of mixed fuel... and injected oil... because he'd heard stories of the injector malfunctioning and burning up motors. I found that to be a big no-no and drained the mixed fuel and have been running it as it should be for the past couple years.

The carbs need to come off and cleaned. You can get Yamaha service manuals at www.yamaha-motor.com but wont give much information on carbs. A Clymer or Seloc manuals may give you more help.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks boats. I did just that and she purrs like a kitten.

Comment

Working...
      X