1994 50hp ER...No Spark update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 50hp ER...No Spark update

I have checked the electrical components and eliminated most of them.

The ignition coils and plug wires, Rectifier, pulser coils, harness, stop switch, neutral switch and lighting coil all show proper function.

I can only check ohms on the CDI (don't have the other tester) which is within range on all leads.

The Charge Coil fails on the ohms test...infinity is the reading I get.

The symptoms began with stumbling at WOT. If I pulled throttle back to 3500 or 4000 rpm it would recover. When back to over 5000 or near WOT it would again lose power (not like when in safe mode...I could go over 4000 rpm).

The total failure (No Spark) occurred when I was again at WOT but did not throttle back to recover when the engine again badly missed. I left the throttle in the WOT position and the engine died. I have had ZERO SPARK since.

My question is: Based on the initial symptom and the infinity reading on the Charge Coil leads, does it sound like the Charge Coil fried? Would it cause a NO SPARK condition if it was toasted?

have you tried to run motor with main harness unplugged ?

Comment

Yes, thank you. I tried both situations....still no spark.

There is no question, the multimeter I tested with nailed every resistance or continuity check. The Charge Coil is the only bad reading I had. I was leaning towards a key switch or neutral switch problem, but all that tested OK. Then I found the Charge Coil anomaly.

I later learned of the CDI white wire trick while searching the forum. That backed up my conclusion that those systems were OK.

I had also tried to start the motor (accidentally) with the wire harness disconnected (I am talking about the ten pin connector here). I am a little confused as to how could the motor start with the harness disconnected?

How would you engage the starter?

Comment

Working...
      X