2002 15 hp 4-stroke....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 15 hp 4-stroke....

My water pump went out recently and the engine overheated. The warning light on the front came on during this as well. I thought it was from the temperature but have since found out this little model only warns of low oil pressure. The oil level has always been fine. I've replaced the water pump and it "pees" just fine now but the oil light doesn not go off after I've cranked it up. Is there a way to reset the warning light on this outboard? And also, I'm assuming the oil pump requires fully breaking down the motor? and also, is there a oil filter in this motor? I bought it used a few months ago and trying to learn the ins and outs of it now.

Thanks,

Chris

The oil light should reset itself. Check compression and oil pressure switch. The oil filter is number 34 in diagram http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

By the looks of that diagram, the oil filter is not within the crankcase. I'll need to take another look. Thanks! I wonder if that filter gest clogged up if it could force the light to come on.

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
        The oil light should reset itself. Check compression and oil pressure switch. The oil filter is number 34 in diagram http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html

I'll be changing the oil and oil filter this weekend. How would I go about checking the compression and also how would I check the oil pressure switch? I was thinking of just replacing the Oil pressure switch.

And let me know if I'm thinking about this correctly...The oil pump itself is simply attached to the end of the cam shaft and as long as the cam shaft is turning, the oil pump is working correct?

Thanks for your help and a HUGE thanks for the link. Those diagrams help tremendously.

Chris

Comment

Working...
        X