Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '06 F60TLR Issues

2006 Yamaha F60TLR

Could really use some help. Three trips to the river (2.5 hour drive each way) and two trips to the shop in between, have resulted in two tow jobs and once having to limp my boat back to the ramp. I'm hemorrhaging cash at this point.

The problem first surfaced with a very strong shaking of the motor and wouldn't gain power even at full throttle. It would then kill itself and wouldn't restart. Had to get towed in. Shop found water in my fuel, although I didn't diagnose that as a problem when I was stranded, as my float was still sitting at the bottom of the cup. I had them service it as well, and this is everything that was done by them (thanks Boats.net for suggesting to check for water and new plugs):
    -drain gas tank (water was found)
    -replace fuel/water separator
    -replace fuel filter element
    -replace fuel element cup
    -new impeller
    -new spark plugs
    -oil change
    -oil filter change
    -gear lube change
    I also:
    -refilled with non-ethanol fuel
    -added Sta-Bill marine formula

Feeling confident that the culprit was water in the fuel and that it was resolved, I went fishing and again had more motor troubles. Boat ran great for maybe 5 minutes, but then at WOT, she would bog down, then suddenly surge back, then bog, then surge. Kind of like that new **** driver that slams the brakes then hits the gas, and repeats. As that trip went on, the problem started to show itself at lower and lower rpm's, until finally it would die at idle, and yes, had to get towed back in. (Thank goodness for my fellow fishermen helping me out, hate to think what the two tow bills would have been). So back to another shop, a five-star certified one, certainly they can fix the problem, right? Another hefty bill for the following:
    -motor hooked up to diagnostic computer resulting in no error codes
    -fuel pressure checked OK
    -water intake found partially clogged, "possibly" resulting in overheating

Took boat back out this weekend, not convinced anything was fixed. So I did a little research on things to try and also bought a new portable gas tank. I experienced the same bog/surge at all power settings. Luckily it didn't completely die on me, and I was able to limp my boat back to the ramp at a minimal power setting. Tried the following:
    -check all gas lines for kinks
    -run on open gas cap.....still have problem
    -prime bulb when running rough.....still have problem
    -hook up a new portable tank directly to the motor and run off it......still have problem

I'm frustrated. Have no confidence in my boat. Have no confidence that any Yamaha service shops in my area can correctly diagnose and fix the problem. Any suggestions, whether I can try them myself, or suggest to the shop will be great. I'm gonna tell them to take my boat out on the water if they can't replicate the problem in the shop. Because whether that computer says there's a problem or not, I KNOW there is a problem.

Needs to have fuel pressure tested while running, may have debris in vapor separator tank(VST) clogging up fuel pump filter inside tank.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X