help please. 86 v150 trim problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please. 86 v150 trim problem

I have a 1986 Yamaha pro v 150, and the trim will not work. A couple of times recently it would get stuck when raised all the way up, but would eventually come down. Last night it got stuck up and while running the trim to lower it it made a strange sound, and now the trim motor runs but will not move the motor. It make a loud whirring noise and sounds to me that the motor is not connected to whatever it turns. you can hear the motor free spinning for a few seconds after you let off the button. I have no manual on it and dont know what fluid it takes or where to check/add fluid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. also, I figured out how the screw works to manually raise and lower the motor and am wondering if it would be wise to use the boat like it is untill I can fix it. Thanks.

have you checked the fluid?

do you regularly grease the fittings on the motor ?

Comment

lubes

Originally posted by jb123 View Post
      have you checked the fluid?

do you regularly grease the fittings on the motor ?
      The fluid is full, the fittings have been greased and the motor moves smooth and easy by hand.

Comment

if it gets stuck up....it makes it sound like the tilt tube is tight, unlubed.

try this.....lift it up...try trimming down... then undo release screw...if it falls easily then it is a pump/motor issue.

Comment

pump

It moves freely. I am sure it is a pump/motor issue, and wondering if there is a gear that strips, or pin that sheared, or somthing like that that usally happens. I just started to remove the unit and have realized I will have to unbolt the motor from the boat, so im going to get a cherry picker now.

Comment

got it apart

Well I got the unit off and pulled the electric motor off and found that the little pump under the motor was locked up and the connector that hooks the motor to the pump was shattered. That little 2 inch round, 3/4 in thick pump was $165.00. I have the parts ordered and hopefully will be back on the water this Friday. It really was not as bad as I thought getting the unit off, you just need someway of supporting the motor. I used a timber across the rafters in my garage. Thanks, and I really like this website.

Comment

Working...
            X