Yamaha V4 rev limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha V4 rev limiter

Hi. I'm not sure if I'm asking something stupid... I've been testing my new boat and there's always the same problem. The V4 2-stroke motor over revs 7200rpm with the tested props (26Pitch -> speed 65mph), gear ratio 2:1. After running some props with over 20% prop slip I thought that there must be something wrong with the revmeter. Is it be possible that meter shows wrong numbers at full speed? I had to start asking about this because I just saw that the rev limiter lead is connected in the CDI so it should not be possible to reach those numbers? I'm a bit confused about this - can the motor rev 7200 with the revmeter lead connected (I reckon no). Why is the revmeter showing 7200?

Thanks for advice.

The models here in the US have rev limiter that activate at about 6200 rpm's and your motor probably is the same way. The motor has a 12 pole alternator and tach may not be set on right pole setting.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Tach

The tach has 3 settings, 4P - 6P - 12P. The 12P one was on. Limiter should activate at 6200. I have to test different tachs simultaneously...

Thanks

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      The models here in the US have rev limiter that activate at about 6200 rpm's and your motor probably is the same way. The motor has a 12 pole alternator and tach may not be set on right pole setting.

Comment

Working...
      X