Carb Cleaning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cleaning Question

Do I need to remove carbs to clean low & high speed jets? Is it better to take them off just to be safe? I have a 04' 70hp 2 stroke w/ 3 carbs. If I have to take them off, is better to take off each one separately & work on it individually, clean/replace & move on to the next one?
    I emptied the carb bowls & there was alot of trash, ran SeaFoam, but since I'm this far into it I figure I should complete the process to make sure it's done properly. Any & All suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Bob

take apart as far as you possibly can , you can use compressed air, i use aerosol cleaners. if you had trash in bowls then youll have trash in orifices. number the carbs as sometimes they have different jets.
    you should get a rebuild kit.

Comment

Best to get a manual and carb kits (basically gaskets, needle and main jet and a few other small items) The manual will give you the breakdown of parts and how they go together. The linkage adjustment it what is key. Try not to undo any linkage by unscrewing any connectors. They usually pop off. Another key item is the idle adjustment mixture screws. Before taking one out, gently screw it in while counting how many turns you go until it seats (very lightly) (be very gentle). Count every 1/2 turn until you get a final count.(most are usually 1 1/2 turns or so. Write down how many turns it takes for each carb and record it. When reinstalling, install until it seats,then back it out the number of turns you wrote down. This will get you back to where you were without having to guess. By all means, do one carb at a time. The job is not hard, just a bit time consuming to do it correctly. Take your time, lay the parts out in order on a clean surface and clean and dry each part before reassembling. A can of carb cleaner is all you need but compressed air to make sure all passeges are clear is better. Measure the float height after you put the new needle and jet in. It's rarely off but worth checking while you have it apart. Penalty for not doing it is either hesitation on acceleration or flooding at idle. Good luck.

Comment

So how do you check the float height??

Comment

Working...
        X