Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saltwater 200 HP Noise

Hey guys,

I recently replaced water pump on my 1997 200TXRV. Next time out I noticed a rattling noise when motor was engaged into gear. I immediately returned to neutral and listened no noise. When motor was in engaged to reverse this time the same rattling noise. I then placed motor into forward, heard the noise again. I then gave the motor some throttle and noise went away. Throughout that day of fishing as long as I gave the motor a little of additional throttle once placing into gear I did not hear the rattling noise. After returning home, I pulled the lower unit and disassembled to look for problem. I could not find anything wrong with pump assembly. Reassembled and started motor on the muffs. I placed motor in gear and listened for rattling noise. It sounds like its being generated in the mid section of motor. Anyone help with diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for your help in advance.
    Hillfisher
    Dennis Neal

hello
    this noise is classic on engines with heavy stainless steel props and even worth when the boat is out of the water , running on the hose.
    there is not much you can do
    cyrillefrenchy

Comment

did you replace # 10-13 correctly here ?:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...00)/parts.html

Comment

Thanks for the response. I've never heard this noise associated with other Yamaha outboards. This is news to me.
        JB123-Yes, I installed the washers and the collar correctly. Thanks for asking, because that is one reason why I immediately removed foot to check my reassembly.
        Dennis Neal

Comment

Could it be possible if the bushing located in the bottom of the upper casing is worn this would allow drive shaft to move more than normal. There are two shiny spots on the drive shaft where bushing is located. Is this bushing there to support and limit horizontal movement?
          Bushing part # Y-6E5-45318-00-00 (#35)

Thanks
          Dennis Neal

Comment

Check to make sure your engine cover is on correctly. When you hear the noise lean in the cover to see if it goes away or try with the cover removed.

Comment

Just wanted to bump this back to the top in hopes someone could offer some help.

Thanks,
              Dennis Neal

Comment

It sounds like prop chatter, set idle speed to 600 rpm's in gear and make sure washers and cup are ok and installed correctly on impeller. Not much else you can do unless put a lighter weight prop on it.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

re: 200hp noise

hi, recently read an old post about water pump replacement on a 200 hp eng (8/27/03) that said the drive shaft should be held in an upward position while installing the stainless steel collar. not doing this " may cause drive shaft bounce, which will sound like a intermittent clank at idle rpm in gear". this post showed a detailed water pump replacement with many fotos. hope this might help.
                  capt joe

Comment

Working...
                  X