Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No spark on left bank of V-6 1989 Yamaha 200...Stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spark on left bank of V-6 1989 Yamaha 200...Stator?

Just bought an older Mako with twin 1989 Yamaha 200's. On the port engine the 3 left bank of cylinders have no spark.

Sounds to me like a stator. I read some of posts noting the use of a DVA.

Does the manual describe how to perform this test?

Other than a stator what would really cause this?

Are there any aftermarket stators that are better or less expensive than the Yamaha stators?

Is the stator difficult to replace if I have good machanical abilities? Any special tool requirements?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by fastime331; 09-24-2008, 04:51 PM. Reason: Wrong title

I dont understand how it would be the stator seeing as how its an ignition problem. Since you have established there is no spark, I would start from the distributor and go back wards from there. check connections and what not. might be a bum dist or coil. Just doesnt sound like a charging issue to me.

Comment

The trigger is located under the flywheel, correct?

Does removing the flywheel require any special tools?

Comment

Have you ever replaced a trigger before?

I ordered a CD with all the Yamaha manuals on it. When I receive it i'll guess I'll learn more about testing and , if required, replacement of the trigger.

For now, I have no info in tools or testing procedures of the coil trigger.

I still find it very odd that the right bank of coils work and the left do not.

Comment

It sounds like the trigger to me also.

Comment

Originally posted by JUST-IN-TIME
            i have seen this more than ya have obvious

you need a dva and meter also, better buy those

I wasn't undermining your knowledge. I was asking (theoretically) if the pulser coil was bad, what needs to be removed to access it.

What, if any, special removal tools would be required?

I have a good multimeter but no DVA, I found one but it cost $134.00!

I found a good, used, pulser trigger on e-bay for $50.00 so I'm planning on replacing that instead of buying the tool for now. Since most forum members here with that issue have found a faulty trigger.

Last Question. What could cause an operational pulse trigger to malfunction? How does it operate exactly? Don't hesitate to get as techncal as required.

Thanks,
            Chris
            Last edited by fastime331; 09-23-2008, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JUST-IN-TIME
              cdi electronics for the dva
              I edited my last post with more questions

Comment

I would first purchase the yamaha service manual and also the Seloc repair manual. These two books are necessary if you plan on working on these engines. As far as removing the flywheel you do need a puller to remove it. For the testing and theory the Seloc manual has step by step instructions and descibes how each part works. Buying used parts is an option but don't take anyones word on it being good unless you know how to test it yourself to verify.

Comment

Originally posted by jf123 View Post
                  I would first purchase the yamaha service manual and also the Seloc repair manual. These two books are necessary if you plan on working on these engines. As far as removing the flywheel you do need a puller to remove it. For the testing and theory the Seloc manual has step by step instructions and descibes how each part works. Buying used parts is an option but don't take anyones word on it being good unless you know how to test it yourself to verify.
                  Ok I now have both on CD. PDF format.

I found the steps for replacing the trigger.

The manual calls for removing the flywheel using a flywheel holding tool and a puller.

Where can these special tools be acquired?

Comment

You don't need a flywheel puller and you can buy a 3-way puller at any automotive or tool store. The 3 bolts used are 8X1.35 thread.

Comment

Sorry, I mean you don't need a flywheel holder.

Comment

Originally posted by yjw1 View Post
                        You don't need a flywheel puller and you can buy a 3-way puller at any automotive or tool store. The 3 bolts used are 8X1.35 thread.
                        Thanks!

So the motor will not rotate when I attempt to remove the flywheel nut?

If it did, perhaps a 2x4 lodged into the prop would do the trick...

Also, I'm pretty sure the flywheel nut is 22 mm. Can anyone verify this?

I plan on doing this Saturday, taking pictures and posting it here...if successfull

Comment

Originally posted by yjw1 View Post
                          Well I drove down to ACE hardware and then to Home depot, then called every hardware and fastner store in town.

"There is no such animal as an 8 by 1.35 thread bolt", I was quoted by the hardware guru's.

Is this some kind of Yamaha special part? WTF

I have a 1.25 that I will try, later, when my brother arrives this evening with the boat.

Comment

Working...
                          X