200hp (93) idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200hp (93) idle problem

Hi.. New to message board. I have a 1993, 200HP that after running (warmed up) will not idle. It's hard to start but once going from cold idles fine --'till hot. I've taken apart and cleaned carbs twice but problem remains. Not sure if it's losing cylinders or carb probs. How do I check? Any help appreciated.
    steve

Check compression, make sure all cylinders are within 10% of each other. Syncronize carbs and adj pliot screws in carbs as per service manual.You can check spark by pulling plug wires while running with plastic pliers.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Spark Plug Gap for 1993 200HP 2 Stroke

What is the correct gap for this model. I just bought (6) new NGK BR 8HS 10 plugs for it. Yamaha says 0.035, but the West Marine Catalogue said 0.039.
      The guy said sometime, different plugs or gap setting may be recommended now for older engines as fuel formulation (E85) has changed over the years.
      Is this correct or do I stick with the 0.035 like what the manual says.
      BTW, it does cut out sometimes when idling with no throttle given to it.
      Regards,
      Todd

Comment

you must have one o dem outhouse manuals not a factory yamaha.
        that -10 number on those NGK plugs indicate its pre-gapped at 1mm which happens to be roughly .039" which happens to be the yamaha reccomendation.
        funny how yamaha specified the -10 plug.
        you run E85 in that motor and its not modified to run it and it dies a sudden and violent death from a lean air/fuel ratio.

Comment

Working...
        X