No announcement yet.

2004 HPDI cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I run my boat with battery switch set to BOTH batteries, both get charged, right? I don't want to have to monitor time running on one, then another...
    Any issues doing this? What am I missing here? Why is a combiner needed?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      If I run my boat with battery switch set to BOTH batteries, both get charged, right? I don't want to have to monitor time running on one, then another...
      Any issues doing this? What am I missing here? Why is a combiner needed?
      Yes, if the battery switch is set to the both position then both will be charged while the motor is running.

The problem is if and when the motor is stopped and the switch is not turned to either the off position or battery one or battery two position. There is a chance that both batteries can be drained such that the motor cannot be started. Not a problem if the motor can be started without a battery. Not a problem if the boat is used in a fresh water lake. Might be a problem if the boat is 50 miles out in the ocean.

A combiner (or the isolator lead) automatically disconnects the two batteries from each other when the motor is off. Automatically connects the two when the motor is running. Stop the motor. Go to sleep in the hot sun with the radio playing good tunes with all of the electrics on. Wake up hours later with one dead battery. Not a problem since there should be one good battery fully charged and able to start the motor. Motor gets started, both batteries automatically connect such that both are being charged.

Comment

Learning all the time. Nifty!

Comment

Boscoe - with the combiner/isolator would you simply have an on/off battery switch rather than 1,2,both type?

Comment

Working...
          X