'06-50TLR Primer Bulb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '06-50TLR Primer Bulb Question

I've been having problems with primer bulbs. They don't pump up hard, hold pressure and sometimes are just soft and squish-ey. I'm on #4. First three were Yamaha. last one aftermarket ???

Boat runs OK.---Starting has always been a problem though(Prime-Start Sys. Yuk-wish I had a simple push primer/choke)

What could be the problem?

I've tightened all fittings, replaced the fuel lines and connections My current replacement bulb seems to work great(hard and holds pressure).

Could it be just bad bulbs and the check valves not sealing properly.??

All seems too simple not to work properly.

Hold the primer bulb vertical(arrow on bulb facing up) when pumping to help check balls in bulb to seat. They wont hold pressure, it's only is used to prime the fuel system, to fill carbs or fuel vapor tank with fuel.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply.I understand about the arrow etc

I just ran the boat, for some reason it starts better, idles smoother and this bulb pumps up hard.

Still confused.

Comment

50 TLR - Bulb and other issues

Dorf
        I purchased my 50 TLR new last summer, so have 1 year remaining on warranty. I too have questioned the bulb on my fuel system. Recently bought a new one and seems to stay firm, although still a little soft.

My 50 is on the back of a 26ft sailboat, so needless to say I only use it to motor in and out of marina and to occassionally motor several miles when can't sail. I do try to run full open for a few minutes whenever i am out.
        My big issue just occurred last Sunday. The motor started but kept dying within 5-15 seconds. It would start again. I checked the plugs and they were blackened and i assumed fouled. Today put in new plugs, bought a new gas tank and new fuel, and it would run a little longer (maybe 10-30 seconds) before dying.
        A local boat mechanic is suggesting the 3 carbs maybe need adjusting. When dies almost sounds like a sneeze. Since it is a sailboat, it will be a pain to take down all rigging to trailer 50 miles to the Yamaha shop.
        I saw a thread of emails on a Texas Fishing Forum for same issue. Have you had such problems?

Comment

My motor is on a 20foot Pontoon Barge.

I've had starting problems since new. Start-stop-start,-when finally starts it is OK

Dealer removed the antisiphon valve from the gas tank that was supposed to help, it didn't.

I replaced all of the hoses, the 20 micron fuel filter, bulb and re-reouted fuel lines to allow a smoother flow of fuel and checked compression on all three, 115# on each. Which is good.

I purchased a Yamaha manual and a Clymer manual(my opinion it is a better choice) and verified that all of the carb and timing settings were correct and they were. I did set the idle alittle higher though.

So now I'm on bulb 3 or four, can't remember.

Now when starting the Prime Start kicks in, RPM rises (1500 0r so)for awhile then drops to Idle RPM (about 900)like it is supposed to.

I'm stumped The latest bulb that I purchased was for another engine (Evinrude) and I didn't use it, but seems to work great ????

I just purchased another spare (Wal Mart) in case.

Now if I leave the boat sit for awhile the bulb seems to be full, a gentle squeese and it is hard.

I'm still confused ????---But it is working.

Lastly, you can't adjust those carbs- they are plugged & sealed, no adjustments possible.Only the opening and Synchronization of the three..

Just a suggestion, you can check the fuel filter on the engine for precipates from alcholol in the fuel. it might be causing a stoppage.

Here in arkansas they recommend using the Yamaha 20 micron filter to filter out the water in the alcholol laden fuel.

Let us know what fixes it.

Comment

mill217
            If it's sneezing then it's running too lean which is probably dirty carbs, low speed circuit is probably plugged.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
              mill217
              If it's sneezing then it's running too lean which is probably dirty carbs, low speed circuit is probably plugged.
              You wrote re possibility of dirty carbs and low circuit probably being plugged on my 2007 50TLR. I probably only have 15 hours on this motor. Any suggestions on next steps or basic steps to unclog since it is in a slip and i have to get the motor running to reach the boat ramp 1+ miles away? Is there any additive that could be used to clean? Thanks.

Comment

Just another suggestion have you checked the "Choke Thingy" on the front of the engine ( cover off)

There are three positions Normal, Open, Closed. Should be in Normal.
                I don't remember if full up or down. There is a decal showing the positions.

Lastly, I'd call the dealer and get a "on water" service call.

Comment

If you bought it at Marinemax, they will come to you for service if needed.

Comment

make sure the motor is all the way down, i hade trouble starter mine how with the motor all the way down it startes up without primmingafter sitting a week

Comment

Working...
                    X