VZ150 - fix or trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VZ150 - fix or trade?

My 2001 VZ150 is cooked after 7 years and approx 150hrs. I noticed a knocking sound and it turns out cyl 2 and 5 are worn so bad they are slapping around in the cylinder. My service manager says these motors like to run at higher rpm and that running too much of the time under 2000 rpm will kill them. Could this be true? He said it was an oiling issue but stopped short of saying it's a design issue. I need to have some understanding of how the motor works and if this type of wear can be prevented before I can make a decision to fix or to trade...

1. Is there an oiling issue with running HPDI motors below the cutoff for cyl 2 and 5 for significant periods of time?

2. If there is an issue, can anything be done to prevent it (eg. can oiling be adjusted, etc)

3. If there's nothing I could do about it, is there another 2-stroke model or make which would better suit my application?

I am on a small lake about a mile and a half long, so there is limited opportunity for extended running. I use the boat for skiing and general runabout activity and yes, it does get a disproportionate amount of slow operation... which I could cut back on somewhat if I need to. My dealer says I should go to a 4-stroke, by I can't picture a 4-stroke on my boat... an 18' Carlson. I love the torque for skiing and the boat literally jumps up on top of the water out of the hole... that would be tough to give up. It really has been the ideal motor up until this point... but I can't afford to be repairing or replacing it this often. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Tim
    Last edited by tholland; 08-14-2008, 08:31 AM.

I can't seem to find any info on this wrt if oiling changes for cyl 2 and 5 while they are shut off during low rpm operation. I was quoted $7800CDN just for a new powerhead ($9k installed), which sounds like highway robbery to me... or $5500 for them to do a rebuild. Another marina has offered to take it as a trade in on a new motor for slightly more than the new powerhead would be... but again, I need to find out if I will encounter the same problem if I stay with an HPDI... Maybe I should go to a V150 carb motor instead.

Comment

There was an oiling problem with 200-300 hp HPDI engines but not the 150, there is a oil pump update for the 200-300 engines. We have a lot of customers that use the 150 hpdi for *****ing and not had any oil problems.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks... I feel better about the fix option based on your comment.

Comment

1 68F-W0090-11-1S CRANK CYLINDER ASS
          [68F-W0090-12-1S] $4316.96

buy it brand new HERE, pay someone to install and check components.
          Last edited by jb123; 08-14-2008, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jb123 View Post
            1 68F-W0090-11-1S CRANK CYLINDER ASS
            [68F-W0090-12-1S] $4316.96

buy it brand new HERE, pay someone to install and check components.
            Thanks, that is a great price... especially compared to the list here in Canada. Is there any difference between 68H, F, or L blocks? I think 68H is the pn for a VZ150.

Comment

you got me there...but the F H and L are all the same price, for a factory new block...thats what I did a couple years back rather than HOPE for a good rebuild.

Comment

PM sent to you

Comment

Working...
                X