2004 - 250 HPDI Blown powerhead x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 - 250 HPDI Blown powerhead x2

The #2 piston on 250 Hpdi was blown with 50 hours on it. Replaced powerhead under warrnaty. 1st 2 hours on new powerhead were run by the shop. Ran engine another 6 hrs and blew #2 piston again. Each time is was within 10 minutes of leaving the landing in the a.m. Have heard of others having similar problems with the 250 HPDI. I did learn that something with the oil pump was changed by Yamaha just before the engine was sold to the first owner. Has Yamaha had problems or recalls on anything with this engine? Any comments are most welcome.

two blown 300 hpdi's

I have a grady white with twin 300 hpdi Yamaha's.
    2004 models. They ran fantastic for 4 1/2 years. Yamaha offered a replacement on the oil pumps at no charge. It was supposed to be a recall.
    After changing the oil pumps, one of the motors blew within a month of replacement. The bill was $8000.00 ,but I only had to pay $2000.00. They assured me that the other engine would not have the same problem. Well guess what, My boat is in the shop again for the same problem on the other engine. I just have to believe that if I kept the old oil pumps, I would not have had this problem.
    richie60
    Last edited by richie60; 02-24-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

We have replaced hundreds of the oil pump's that called for the update on the HPDI models and that did resolve the problems we were seeing with them. It's best to have your dealer inspect the engine and have dealer contact Yamaha.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
      X