Lower unit 85 hp yamaha shift shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit 85 hp yamaha shift shaft

Help, I am trying to repair a Yamaha lower unit. When I removed the unit the shift shaft turned 3/4 turn before engaging or turning the shift Cam in the lower unit. My question is How much should it turn before it moves the shift cam? I was thinking there should be about a 1/4 turn from neutral to either Forward or reverse. This answer may save me alot of time and money. Thanks, Carl

Not sure the exact amount it should turn but 3/4 turn is too much, measure the rotation of upper shift shaft when shifting into gear to get a reference.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Well just got it apart. The shift cam WILL TURN 360 DEGREES!!!! To know how to position it for proper installation turn clockwise until the first click or notch, that should be forward or reverse, the second is neutral, this is the position needed for it to work properly. NEVER, NEVER remove the shift shaft from the lower unit!!!! If you do the spring loaded pin that shifts the shift dog will spring forward and the only way to get it back in place is to tear down the entire unit. If you turn it counter clockwise there is a very big lobe on the shift cam you can't get by. Also for the ones trying to remove the carrier bearing, you can use a puller with a small chain going through the slots where the special tool would go. Loop it through and secure with a bolt and make sure the chain has welded links. Heat with a rose bud tip the lower unit where the bearing is located on the outside on both sides and it should come out without much problem. Hope this helps someone else know how these work. Thanks, Carl

Comment

Cool - Never thought of running a chain.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X