F150 4 stroke hard restating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 4 stroke hard restating

I have a 2006 F150 4 stroke on a 20' center console. When changing fishing spots, about half the time, I encounter a problem when trying to restart the motor. It usually stumbles and stalls unless I quiclky get it into gear and get the revs up. Today it didn't even stumble; it just refused to start for about 10trys. Then while turning it over I got it into gear and was able to get it started. Of course back at the dock it started just fine.
    The dealer has checked out the motor twice and made some fuel system adjustments, but did not cure the problem. The vapor recovery kit has been installed.
    Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

F150 4 stroke hard restarting

I have the same problem and found it only happens when the water temperature in the summer months gets hot and motor is hot. I let it sit for a few extra minutes and then she starts. (I'm told it's a vapor lock. I didn't have the canister put in 'cause I just 'don't buy it'....)

If the water temp is 78 degrees and you're running hard and you shut it off then you have a problem with the restart.

I think it could be residual heat under the motor cover that's causing it. (I never tried squeezing the fuel ball to see if that helped.... vapor lock)

The stalling when you put it in gear... under the motor cover there is a switch by the shift linkage that allows the motor to stumble when you put it in and out of gear... it could be it needs to be sprayed with a bit of CRC or check the adjustment on it.

(different subject: what size prop are you using and is it stainless or aluminum? I'm running a 14 1/2 by 17 aluminum prop on a 20' Seaox.. rpm turns 5600 flat out.... 39.9 mph)

Comment

F150 4 stroke hard restarting

DT,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in SW FL and the water temperature is about 86+°. The dealer installed the vapor kit when I bought the boat; it's pretty much standard here. The stumbling occurs before I put the motor in gear, so it is related to my hard starting. The hard starting occurs even an hour after shutting the motor off. I will check out the switch as you recommend.

Since the motor is still under warrantee the dealer will be bringiing it into the shop this week to, I hope, findout what causing the problem. I'll let you know what they find.

The prop is a 14 1/4 x 18 stainless steel. The boat peaks at 48 mph and 5900 rpm. My boat as a Sea Hunt Triton 207 CC.

Comment

Working...
      X