ethinal causing problems with hpdi motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ethinal causing problems with hpdi motor

I wanted to know if there were any problems with the hpdi motors before etinal was used in the gas? I have been having a number of problems with my 2002 200hp hpdi motor.

I also had alot of problems with my twin 2002 200 HPDI's since N.Y. has been adding ethanol to the fuel. My understandng is that the ethanol is cleaning all the build-up in the fuel tanks and sending it to the motors and clogging filters.It was recomended by my dealer to use 10 micron raycor water seperator filters.Another problem was the VST filter was getting clogged with crap.My one engine wouldnt go above 2800 rpm's until I took the VST tank apart and changed the filter. To buy the filter is about $65.00 less in your pocket,but the good news is that you can clean it with soap and water assuming its still in good shape(no tears). If your a DIY kind of guy it will probably take you a little over an hour to do it the first time.You might also want to change the $40 gasket too. To have a dealer do the work will probably run you close to $300.Unfortunatly its not covered under warranty because its a clogged filter.I had problems starting when cold and a stall problem when I would put the engines in neutral. I just started adding an anti-enzime treatment to the fuel and you wouldnt believe the performance difference in both motors. I just had the boat out saturday and not one problem starting and it didnt stall once. I hope this will answer your problems and good luck.

Comment

Alcohol based fuels are recommended to NOT be used in Marine engines. The alcohol absorbs moisture from the air around it and degrades the fuel. This will in turn cause the engine to run poorly.

This fuel is ok in cars as they go through the fuel much quicker.
      Boats sit idle and close to water <---bad combination.

Also if you are in a warm climate with fluxuating temps with an aluminum boat and aluminum fuel tank, the problem can be worse as you will get condensation in the fuel tank...so keep it full

TMD

Comment

Unfortunatly the fuel with the ethonal in it is the only fuel available in NYS. NY used the add NTBE to the fuel in an attempt to keep the air cleaner but when they discovered it managed to make its way into the driking water they switched to using ethonal. Has been a nightmare for the boating community because it does everything you said and more, especially to the newer outboards.

Comment

Cheer up folks. -- Ethanol creates problems in engines that are a couple years old and older because it does indeed loosen up the crud in the fuel system. The good news is that after changing fuel filters a few times most of this stuff has been removed and the engine will run fine. I have a nine year old Evinrude that has lived on ethanol its entire life with no problems. Newer engines have gaskets and plastic parts that are no longer affected by ethanol which was a problem in older engines.

Comment

Ponderosa

Does anyone besides me use Lucas treatment.
            I would also like to add a little Marvel Mystery Oil but have not for I am not sure of how much to add to 5 gal of gas

Comment

Working...
            X