99 Yammie Trim Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Yammie Trim Problem

My motor will trim up but not down...been told its a simple fix..trim relay is bad..that is all well and good but I have no clue where it is located on the motor! Also is this something easy enough for an ameture to fix? I am told its a $15 part and about 2 minutes of work..but I do not want to put the boat in the shop for a week and pay $50 in labor if I can do it myself.

The part you need to replace is on the inside of the cowling on the bottom. Follow the wires from the tilt unit to the inside and you cannot miss the solenoid. There should be two of them. I would get a voltmeter and make sure the tilt switch is not bad. An easy way would be to test the switch on the outboard and the one on the helm. The chance of both being bad at the same time is miniscule.

If you can remove screws, you should be able to do this on your own. Lefty loosie and rightie tightie.

Comment

you can just as easily swap them to see if the problem reverses. look on the starboard side of the powerhead,larger green and blue leads go to the 2 relays. more likely a bad switch tho,like the thumb switch that gets used the most.

POST YOUR FIX !!

Comment

It is worht checking the Thumb switcj onthe con***** lever, i hda similar problem and it turned out to be this switch. I could trim up on the lever but not down, I could do both with the switch n the cowling. If you have the same problem when usng the cowling switch then it is most likely the relay.

Comment

Turned out to be the trim relay..a $60 part from Yamaha..not the $10-15 part I was told..seems yamaha has a 2 in one relay so you have to replace both up and down instead of just the one that doesnt work..I went ahead and took it to the shop because my steering went out..decided to go ahead and get the engine serviced and wheel bearings/brakes ( on trailer!) sericed too..I got it back $950 later!!

Boat: def: a hole in the water you throw money into!! Hopefully I will be good as far as the mechanical stuff for the rest of the year. A steering cable cost $300!! I could not believe parts cost more than labor!!..I ahd a messed up hub too..blew out the bearings but did not know until I got it home..wheel was being held on by the brakes! Everything was needed so I do not feel like I got screwed, especially since the parts were so expensive!

Comment

$60.00 relay

Where did you find it for $60.00?
            Richard ramhouse@sbcglobal.net

Comment

You go back in time 6-7 years. that is where you pulled this thread from.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                You go back in time 6-7 years. that is where you pulled this thread from.
                Now that put a smile on my face.

Comment

Working...
                X