8hp 4-stroke - intermitten/weak spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8hp 4-stroke - intermitten/weak spark

I have a 8hp yamaha kicker that runs one day, but won't run the next. I'm not sure what's going on and thought I might get some ideas on where to start.

I've done a number of checks and am fairly confindent I've got an electrical issue. The frustrating part is that sometimes I can get the motor to run other times I can't. The first time it quit running I pulled the plug and looked/felt for spark. I was able to get a very very faint spark, but could barely feel it. Then a couple days later she started and ran fine. Now she is back to not running. This has happened three or four times over the last week when I've tested her.

For comparison purposes I tested the spark on a friend's motor and it was noticeably stronger than what I felt on mine. Unfortunately I wasn't able to swap any parts out to see if I could isolate the problem. So the question is what order of priority would you guys choose when replacing various electricl system components...like 1st try this, 2nd try this, etc.
    Thanks,
    LF

Disconnect the stop switch and key switch if has it to eliminate them as the problem. The ignition system needs to be tested to find problem, it could be bad charge coil, CDI, pulsor coil or ignition coils.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X