130 Saltwater series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 130 Saltwater series

Ok, my gauges are shot due to the led in to much sun. The motor has only giving me an alarm when the eel grass has gathered around the foot at slow speeds. I had the impeller replaced last summer and was told that the old was looked fine. Now, if I run hard, not full but a good fast pace, the alarm sounds. Now I see water peeing out the tube but nothing out the two exhaust ports above water level. When I idle down durring the alarm, the alarm stops after 30 seconds or so. Could this be an oil alarm? The motor isn't real hot to tuch on the caling. The oil res is at the proper line level. I am in the mud with it most days, but its sounding in clean water at high rpm's. Lower the rpm's and it's fine.

Dave,
    I have a C115 which is basically the same as your 130, I believe. I had a similar problem with the overheat alarm going off at any rpm over 4000.
    I would throttle back to idle and in a few seconds the alarm would quit. The motor was not overheating - I could touch the head and my temp gauge indicated normal (around 130 degrees). The culprit turned out to be a bad thermal switch. There's one in each bank of cylinders. I removed the port one first and tested it in heated water with a thermometer and sure enough it was closing at around 135 degrees instead of 180 where it is suppose to. You need a simple volt-ohm meter to do this test, and a fairly accurate thermometer.
    I just ordered a new thermal switch today from boats.net .
    Good luck,
    Ken K.
    Beaumont, TX

Comment

If it isn't the sender blockage in the cooling passages around the cylinders will act the same way.The more RPM's the faster it gets hot when the cooling passages are not clear

Comment

Working...
      X