coil resistance readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil resistance readings

Hi, i have a 85hpAE yammie outboard, i beleive it is 1983.
    I cannot get a manual for it but i do have a manual that covers the 90hp, which till now is the same.
    Does anyone know the timing for idle/WOT
    The ignition coil reading(ohms) are no where near the book, does anyone know what prim/sec should be on an 85hp?
    Engine runs ok, but is rough idle.
    Thanks

The closest model we have to that is a CV85ELF, it's a 1989 and not sure if same as yours.
    Primary .22 ohms
    Secondary 4.8k ohms
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

i have got to be reading this wrong;

sec 8.4 kohms
      Prim 0.07ohms

would there be any capacitive element in the coil unit?
      Would i need to allow for HT lead resistance?

Any ideas.
      Thanks

Comment

No I don't have any information on that model motor. If you suspect 1 coil is bad have you tried swapping coils with another cylinder to test.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

One of the coils sec is 10kohms, but engine runs very well and only idles a bit rough, as if carbs gummed. I would just like to resolve this confusion as my readings are SO far out from all the other engine coils in the book.
          thanks for replies

Comment

Solved some problems

Thought i would share my finding if someone else does the same.
            The sec coil reading were wrong because i did not allow for the HT resistance reading,(34K ohms/metre).The lead is attached to the coil , not plugged onto it.
            The engine idle was rough because the previous owner had set it to 5DEG BTDC, and it should have been 5DEG ATDC. On first check, the penny did not drop ,and i just looked at the 5DEG and thought it correct on the flywheel.
            Still to do on water test but i am guessing it will much better now.

Comment

Working...
            X