Hydrofoils ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrofoils ???

I have a '88 Yamaha 150HP OB with 3 chips in the anti-cavitation plate (2 up front 1"x3" and the entire stern protion missing up to the round anode).

I have been told that the missing sections will not cause any harm but may slightly reduce my performance (particularly the rear portion).

I was thinking of installing an after market hydrofoil to cover the missing rear section and possibly improve my performance.

Any thoughts? Experience w/hydrofoils? Down side to hydrofoils?

i have a `88 pro v 150 and have used one for 10 yrs on it on a 16` very light hull. it helps hold the bow downon takeoff and stabilizes it at top end. I would suggest an aluminum stabilizer as it will offer much more strength over my plastic style.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Who makes aluminum hydrofoils/stabilizers for outboards? I would like to add one to my boat too.

Comment

I've seen people put to large of the Dolphin type on there motor and crack the foot plate. Carfull!

Comment

I recently installed a Sting Ray on my 200 Yamaha with much success. I had looked at several types (Doel-Fin, Tiger Shark,etc.)and determined the Sting Ray would offer the most protection to the cavitation plate because of the way it wraps around the plate, rather than attaching to just the port and starboard sections of the cavitation plate. You might want to look at each one of the different types of hydrofoils in a store and see if they will let you make a template of the various drill patterns to determine if you can attach one to your engine since you have some broken sections. Also, be very careful when installing/drilling so not to break off any more sections.

Comment

I've got a new Triton Bass boat that I added a StingRay Hydrofoil to and I can't believe the difference. It gets me out of the hole alot faster than my buddy's. I found out that with the StingRay I can increase the diameter and pitch of my prop since I don't need the smaller pitch and diameter for the hole shot. This gives me a faster hole shot and faster top end speed. They ought to charge more for something that has so much affect on a boat.

Comment

Working...
              X