1985 lower unit cracked see picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 lower unit cracked see picture

Hi I am new to this sight I just got this motor and it runs great but the lowerunit is cracked......Can it be welded or or should it be replaced every thing works just fine other than it being cracked . Any helpor info would be great .
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Replacing it is the best fix. It might can be welded but corrosion cause it to crack and may crack elsewhere.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Cracked lower unit

Thanks
      You are saying this is from corrosion I thought it might have had water in it and froze over the winter. I guess I better replace it then because I have been going Through this sight for about an hour and your knowledge has been helpful to allot of people. Can you or any one tell me a good place to find a good used lower unit for a 1985..90 hp Yamaha "ETLK" or what years might be interchangeable

Comment

I didn't think of freeze damage. Most all 90hp gearcases up to 1996 will work but I don't know of any used ones.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Cracked lower unit

Hi
          Well I pulled the lower unit tonight and it looks like the only damage it to what I will refer to as the exhaust hub and thats it ...Gear case is still in tacked with clean gear lube and no water so I am having it welded tomorrow.

After getting a good look at it it must be caused by corrosion like you said because there is no way water freezing could do that in that area. I appreciate you info and Knowledge . and Thanks again .

Tim

Comment

Working...
          X