Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seized head bolts

G'day All,
    I have a 60 FETO with a hole in the No. 3 combustion chamber of the cylinder head. Out of the 14 stainless steel bolts I've managed to snap 8 while trying to remove the head. I know, I know, why did I break so many?Well once you've broken 2 why not keep on going, I was in for a long day anyway. Upon inspection of the bores [block] there was a few signs of rust on No. 3 and also a lot of salt and corrosion in the valleys. I can only assume the previous owner didn't flush as well as he claimed.

Considering the amount of work required to repair the motor, should I just count my losses and splurge the A$10000 on a new motor, look for a second hand motor or try and repair the old one? I really have no idea as to what could have caused the bolts to seize but they are not coming out in a hurry that's for sure. My boat is a '91 Haines Hunter 490slc. I was looking at up-grading to a 90 2stroke. any suggestions?
    Thanx.
    Last edited by baggedout; 05-25-2008, 06:31 AM.

If there any part of broken bolt exposed then a welding shop can probably get them out. Since water has been getting in crankcase need to inspect crank, rods, reeds and cylinders for rust pitts.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thankyou for your reply. I have decided to ditch the motor and buy a new one. I don't suppose you would know if any of the 60feto parts are interchangable with the 90aeto? I was thinking of using the 60 for spare parts.
      Thanks again.
      Baggedout
      South Australia.

Comment

Not sure those models are not sold here in US and I'm not familiar with them.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X