Multi function meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi function meter

Did get meter to work on 2003 4-stroke, all functions ok except tach. Tach only shows Zero rpm. Could the green send wire be the problem? or should I anticipate the ECU?. Thanks Bill Berg

Connect a AC voltmeter to green tach signal lead to see if getting voltage.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Connect a AC voltmeter to green tach signal lead to see if getting voltage.
      Zero ac volts between green and black wires in back of instrument panel. Other motor reads 7.6VAC. also noted ohm meter reads open from green wire to ground while other motor reads about 1000 ohms. Help! Thanks again Bill Berg

Comment

It needs to have voltage check done at ECU but it is hard to get to green wire at ECU.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Looks like I need to remove the silencer cover to get to the ECU. I believe the wires from the ECU are plugged into the harness under the cover. Would I be able to measure the ac voltage before the wires go into the plug, even if I have to cut and then splice back the green and black wires? Thanks Bill Berg
          Last edited by finaddict4; 05-24-2008, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
            It needs to have voltage check done at ECU but it is hard to get to green wire at ECU.
            Looks like I have to remove the silencer cover to get to the ECU. If I cut and then splice the green and black wires that come from the ECU to the wiring harness before the plug, under the cowling could I not accomplish the voltage reading in that manner? Thanks Bill Berg

Comment

I don't like to cut and splice wires, opens door for corrosion problems. First check main harness either switch with other motor or check continuity of green wire to see if has broken wire.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

silencer cover removal

Any easy method to remove the silencer cover once the bolts are removed? This is on a 2003 225 4 stroke.Thanks Bill Berg

Comment

The bolts in front are hard to see, look close to see if you have all the bolts out. Once bolts and sensor lead is unplugged it slides forward to come off.
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

multi function meter

Just a big thank you for working me through the troubleshooting process. The inoperative tach turned out to be an open connection between the ecu and the meter on the dash. Rather than trying to find the open in the harness/connectors, ran a new wire from the ecu to the tach. Had to break the connection at the ecu and used a heatshrink butt connector. Also sealed the ends with silicone. You have a customer for life. Bill Berg

Comment

Working...
                    X