Starter Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Problem

I have a 2000 Yamaha 40 HP 4 stroke that I'm having trouble with on the initial startup. Seems like I have to hit the ignition switch several times before the bendix will stay engaged and turn the flywheel. After I get it started initially it will start first time,every time. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The battery should be 380 cold cranking amps or more with 124 RC. Have battery load tested.Clean and tighten battery cables. Check battery cable connections on motor. Test starter relay and starter.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      The battery should be 380 cold cranking amps or more with 124 RC. Have battery load tested.Clean and tighten battery cables. Check battery cable connections on motor. Test starter relay and starter.
      I put a new battery in when I started having this problem,but I will have to check and see what the ratings are on the battery. I have cleaned and tightened the battery cables,and have checked the connections on the motor. I have not tested the starter relay or the starter. I just don't understand why it only happens on initial start up. Once I get it started,you would never know there was a problem,starts every time you turn the key. Thanks for you suggestions.

Comment

Doesn't anyone else have any ideas what my problem could be. This thing is about to drive me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by JUST-IN-TIME
          lube up the bendix shaft
          I've tried that,but it didn't seem to make any difference. The bendix engages the flywheel,but won't stay engaged until after hitting the ignition switch about 6-8 times,and only on initial start up. After initial start up it turns the flywheel every time you hit the ignition switch. I'm about to pull out the little bit of hair I have left!

Comment

make sure your cables are nice and pliable as if they get wicked you may not be getting 12+ to your starter. also after you try and start a few times, feel the cable ends....if they get warm then they can be bad.
            you can also use a jumper cable directly to your starter to isolate starter and system.

Comment

Originally posted by jb123 View Post
              make sure your cables are nice and pliable as if they get wicked you may not be getting 12+ to your starter. also after you try and start a few times, feel the cable ends....if they get warm then they can be bad.
              you can also use a jumper cable directly to your starter to isolate starter and system.
              When you say to use a jumper cable directly to the starter,I don't know exactly how to hook the jumper cables up. Do you mean that I would hook the positive cable to the terminal coming out of the starter and then just hook the negative cable to a ground somewhere on the engine. I greatly appreciate your help.

Comment

Starter problems

I have a 40 horse Yamaha 4 stroke, when I try to start it the starter engages the flywheel and will turn it over about a half a turn, the starter stays engaged and keeps running but quits turning the flywheel. Once the motor starts it is fine the rest of the day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X